Although generally pain-free, genital warts can be quite irritating as they sometimes cause discomfort and itching. These soft skin growths appear on the genitals as a result of a sexually transmitted infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV is a serious health risk for women as it can lead to cervical cancer. Having unprotected sex is a great risk factor for contracting HPV.
Genital warts are not always easily discernible, but even then they can cause vaginal discharge, itching, bleeding, or burning. They become really sore and painful when they spread or become enlarged.
HPV is incurable, but it can easily be kept under control with a strong immune system. It’s the same with genital warts. Your immune system function is essential for this type of infection. However, if you want to get rid of genital warts faster or at least reduce their symptoms, there are 3 efficient home remedies that you can try at home.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR TREATMENT OF GENITAL WARTS
Apple Cider Vinegar
- The medicinal properties of ACV are widely known and used.
- Due to its high content of acetic acid, apple cider vinegar is one of the most efficient natural remedies for many skin conditions including genital warts.
- However, you must test yourself for a possible ACV allergy before you apply this treatment – apply some ACV in a place on your body that is not affected and waits.
- If you feel burning, then apple cider vinegar may not be the right treatment for you.
- But, if you can handle it, then use it in the following way:
- Put a few drops of ACV on a cotton ball and apply it on the wart.
- You can secure it with a piece of medical tape or Band-Aid.
- It’s best to leave it to act overnight and rinse it first thing in the morning.
- Be cautious that even if you aren’t allergic to ACV, this method can be really painful. In case you can’t handle it for so long, just hold it for 10 – 15 minutes several times during the day.
- With this treatment, it normally takes a couple of weeks for genital warts to fall off.
Tea tree oil
- Tea tree oil is an extremely efficient antiviral agent that can remove genital warts in both men and women.
- As with ACV, it can be quite painful when applied directly to the infected area.
- To ease the pain, you can dilute it with some other oil such as almond or olive oil in a 1:4 ratio (one tablespoon of olive or almond oil to four tablespoons of tea tree oil).
- It’s important to keep an eye on this ratio for the treatment to be effective.
- Using a cotton ball, pad or a swab, apply tea tree oil or the diluted mixture on the warts several times a day.
- This treatment normally takes between two weeks to about a couple of months to get rid of genital warts.
- The strong antiviral properties of onions are an extremely effective home treatment of genital warts.
- You can use this vegetable to get rid of genital warts as follows:
- Apply a slice of onion on warts. Use some gauze and medical tape to secure it.
- Change the onion slice after a few hours.
- Optionally, you can combine salt, which is a strong astringent, with onion to make the treatment even more efficient.
- Slice a couple of onions finely then season them with a tablespoon of salt.
- Cover and leave overnight. Blend the mixture to make a fine paste in the morning.
- Then apply the paste on your warts and cover with gauze and medical tape.
- It generally takes less than two months for genital warts to fall off with this treatment.